Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Getting Ready for the 4th

We're getting the horse trailer ready for the July 4th weekend. Our friends, Lloyd & D'Anne, and another couple I haven't met yet are all going to camp with our horses at the Mojave river in an equestrian camp.

Paul isn't going to ride yet because of ongoing neck problems, but I am going to be riding for the first time since my trainer Terri died 2 years ago. She was just getting me on Tonka when she died suddenly in her early 40s. Terri was one of the most gifted horsewomen I have ever known. She trained with love and patience and she was showing me some of the training she put on Tonka (turning with leg pressure, etc) and she was just at the point with him that I was supposed to start riding him. I hope she will be with me in spirit when I take him out on the trail.

We bought a new generator for the horse trailer because there are no hookups where we camp (just water) and it has been in the 100s here so we need to be able to run the a/c. Of course, we've run into a problem with the electrical so we're replacing the plug going into the LQ and I hope that solves it. If not I might have to go to plan B (use the generator to power a portable cooler) at least for that weekend.

Our roof vents were leaking before we had it painted so we had 2 new vents installed and I'm replacing all the bedding in the LQ including a new mattress, pillows, sheets and comforter. There's not much more to be replaced. We looked at new horse trailers a year ago and of course the one I wanted was $60K. Ours is old but it's paid for and I just can't justify a new one just to gain a shower.

We have a bathroom (toilet) but no shower, so I'll continue to use our solar shower. It works really good.
You fill the bag with water and place it on the hood of the truck and the sun heats the water. It has a hook and I sweep out one of the horse stalls in the back of the trailer, wear my flip flops and hang the bag up and close the stall door and I have a private shower!

We have portable corrals that we take so when we pull in the first thing we do is set them up, and unload the horses and provide water. We use those big plastic tubs with rope handles for water--they are perfect. That way our horses don't have to be tied to the trailer and can lay down if they wish (and roll when we get back from a ride).

We cook in the big firepit at the campground and whoever gets up first makes the coffee. At night we build a big campfire. If I can get Tonka in the river without freaking him out, the weekend will be a success.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ronni said...

We used to carry a bunch of gallon milk bottles, fill them all with water and put them in the sun. They did take up a lot of room, though.

But, having washed my hair in a stream so cold it made my head ache, I do appreciate a warm shower!

6/20/06, 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home